Curly hair has become very popular and fashionable among men. Though it is desirable, few men naturally have curly hair.
However, you can get curly hair even if you are not naturally gifted with it. This can be attained via a handful of different methods.
To help you find the method that works best for you, we have included more than one technique for curling your hair.
Method #1: Get a Perm
You will need a few pieces of equipment to complete this method, namely:
- Safety equipment – chemicals can be harsh on your skin. If you are concerned about your skin becoming irritated, it is a good idea to purchase safety equipment for this method. This includes a cape, gloves, and even goggles.
- Perm solution and neutralizer – this will be one of the most important pieces of equipment. Without this solution, your hair will not curl permanently. You can either get acid or alkali perm solutions. Beauty retailers should stock these items.
- Clarifying shampoo – before applying the perm solution, you will have to make sure that your hair is perfectly clean. The best way of doing this is with a clarifying shampoo. These shampoos are excellent at removing any built-up oil in your hair.
- Conditioner – conditioner will help to wash your hair and improve its health.
- Heat protectant – when doing a chemical process, such as a perm, it is a good idea to give your hair as much defense as possible. Heat protectants generate a barrier between your hair and the perm solution, giving you added protection.
- Hair clips – these can be bought online for cheap prices. For example, you can get them from here.
- A comb – when it comes to hair, a high-quality comb is a must-have. In fact, you will likely already possess this item.
- Perming rods – these rods come in different sizes. The size of the rods will impact how big your curls are. Therefore, you should think about what kind of style you want before you begin this method.
The easiest way to transform your hair into cool curls is to get a perm. Perms are quite difficult to do and so should only be done by professionals.
They can also be fairly dangerous if you do not heed safety warnings. However, if you do want to do a perm at home, follow these instructions:
- To start, wash your hair. This should be a thorough wash with clarifying shampoo and conditioner. This will transform your hair into the ideal condition for a perm. Do not fully dry your hair, as damp hair will be easier to work with.
- Insulate your hair by utilizing a heat protectant. Perming your hair can be quite damaging, so this will give you an added layer of protection. This step will be especially important if you are using an acidic perm solution since this formula uses heat.
- Put on any health and safety gear. Perm formulas use harsh chemicals that can damage or irritate your skin. As a result, it is advised that you wear safety equipment whenever you do this procedure. This includes gloves for your hands and a towel around your neck. In addition, you can wear safety goggles to prevent the perm solution from getting into your eyes. Barber capes can be bought online, such as from here.
- Begin sectioning your hair. This will make distributing the perm solution much easier. This should be done with a comb and held in place with hair clips. Your hair should be split into at least 3 or 4 sections.
- Start wrapping your hair around perming rods. You should move from the ends of your hair towards the scalp, rolling the rods as you go. The more rods you use, the more curls you will have. These rods should be applied throughout your hair. Your hair will be more manageable thanks to the sectioning that you did earlier in this method.
- Now for the main step: apply the perm solution. Be sure to cover all of the hair on the rods with this solution. Otherwise, parts of your hair will not curl properly. Squeeze the perm solution bottle to apply the mixture.
- Wait for the solution to work. It will inform you of how long this will be on the instructions of the perm solution. It is a good idea to check after a few minutes to see if your hair has become curly. If it has not, simply re-roll the perm rod.
- Wash your hair with water. This will get rid of any remaining perm solution. Though it might seem tempting, you should not take the perm rods out of your hair at this stage.
- Put on the neutralizer. You should use the same method that you did for the perm solution. Wait the appropriate amount of time (as specified in the instructions) and then wash the neutralizer out.
- Take out the perm rods. Then, admire your crisp curls!
Method #2: Use Hair Gel
Unlike the previous solution, this method will not be very long-lasting. However, it is much quicker and simpler.
If you simply want curly hair for the day, this will be a good option for you. In addition, it only requires a few items. These are:
- Pens or pencils – though it might sound odd, pens or pencils will play a similar role to the perm rods. While they should not be used in Method 1, they can be used here. They are very affordable items that should be easy to obtain.
- Hair gel – most guys will have hair gel. Use whichever gel you prefer, though a powerful hold will be ideal.
- A comb – a hairstyling essential for men.
To complete this method:
- Make sure your hair is damp. This will make it easier to work with.
- Apply gel throughout your hair. You will only need a relatively small amount of gel for this technique. However, the more gel you use, the stronger the hold will be.
- Section out your hair with a comb.
- Wrap pencils around your hair. Do this for a few clumps of hair in the same area. Hold the pencils in place for at least 45 seconds. Remove the pencils. Repeat this step until you have covered your entire head of hair.
- Enjoy your curls for a day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do barbers do perms?
Most barbers will not offer perms. This is because they are quite time-consuming and laborious. However, you may be able to find a barbershop that does perform this process. If not, you may have to go to a hairdresser.
As a man, this may seem off-putting. Fortunately, most hairdressers will be perfectly willing to help give you awesome curls.
How much does it cost to get your hair curled?
We cannot give a definitive answer to this question, as it will depend on the place where you get your hair done and the length of your hair.
Long hair will likely take longer to curl than shorter hair. On average, it is likely to cost you at least $50, though it can be considerably more.
Curly hair has become increasingly popular among men. If you are wanting to achieve this look, there are two different methods for achieving your goal.
Like this article? Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter for more content like this.