Taming and styling your hair can be hard work. This will be especially true if you have long, thick, or frizzy hair. Even if you do manage to get your hair presentable, a quick walk on a windy day can ruin all your hard work.
Fortunately, the solution comes in the form of hair gel. Gel makes styling hair more manageable and will hold it in place for the rest of the day. As a result, it is a really useful toiletry or haircare product for men to own.
Not all gels are the same. Some will be more greasy than others, while other products will be quite flaky. While some products give you excellent hold, other gels will not last for very long.
To help you find the right hair gel for your needs, we have created a list of the top 5 hair gels for men.
Firstly, L’Oreal is a best seller in the hair care industry. If you are going for a natural or smart style, this gel will be an excellent choice for you. There is a reason why this brand is so popular.
Namely, their products are high quality and formulated by experts in this field.
- Strong hold – if you want your hair to stay in place all day, this feature will be suited to you. Though this gel gives a powerful hold, it remains flexible. This means that you do not have to be concerned about your hair feeling stiff.
- Medium shine – this level of shine will make your hair look great without making it seem greasy.
- Made by experts – leading experts in the field of hair have helped to devise this formula. As a result, you can use it in the knowledge that it will do an outstanding job on your hair.
- Variety of hair types – whatever your hair type, this gel would work wonders for your styling. This includes wavy or curly hair.
- Strong scent – some customers have observed that this hair gel has a strong smell. Though some users may like this smell, others will prefer a more natural or subtle scent to their hair gels.
Next, Got2b is another leading brand in the male hair care market. Like other hair gels, it will keep your hair in place and make it look super handsome.
However, what sets this product apart from other gels is its incomparably strong hold. There is a reason why this gel is called “Ultra Glued.”
- Strongest ever hold – if you desire a sturdy hold, you cannot go far wrong with this product. Of all the Got2b gels, this one has the strongest amount of hold. Consequently, your style will last throughout the day, even in windy weather.
- Simple to use – when you are getting ready in the morning, the last thing you want to do is spend ages fixing your hair. Fortunately, this gel is super simple to apply. All you need to do is rub a small amount of the gel into your hands and evenly apply it to your hair with your hands. Style with your hands for a more relaxed look or a comb for a more structured and formal appearance.
- No flakes – flakes not only add any unpleasant texture to your hair, but they also look unpleasant. This is especially true if you have dark hair. Luckily, this gel is flake-free.
- Ideal for vertical styles – if voluminous hair is your thing, this gel will be well suited to you. It works excellently for vertical styles, such as quiffs and pompadours. It will also be more than sufficient for afros.
- Not recommended for wet hair – this product will not work most effectively when used on wet hair. Instead, it should be applied to dry hair. If you are aiming for a wet hair look, this may not be the most effective choice for you.
Pacinos is yet another must-have when it comes to hair gels for men. This brand offers a wide variety of hair styling products, including this handy gel.
When using this product, your hair will feel as though it is being styled by a professional barber. It also can provide excellent definition to your hair that will last for a long time.
- Hold all day long – this gel has incredible hold. Despite this, the hair is still flexible and will naturally move. As a consequence, you do not have to be concerned that it will look artificial. The gel works by trapping moisture into the hair.
- Water-soluble solution – this formula can be washed out with ease. This means that there will not be any unpleasant residue as a result of using this gel.
- Barber-level products – want to get a barbershop feeling from the comfort of your own home? If so, buy this gel. Pacinos is used by barbers across the globe.
- Alcohol-free – a lot of gels contain alcohol. Sometimes, this alcohol can make your hair feel dry and brittle. To stop this from occurring, Pacinos have made their gel alcohol-free.
- Strong scent – though the smell is liked by some customers, others have found it to be somewhat overwhelming.
Axe is a famous brand for male beauty and grooming products. It also provides a hair gel, which has been included on this list because it is sensational for customers who prefer messy looks.
Aside from that, the main features of this gel are its matte finish and its natural-looking shine. This Axe gel can be used to create your unique style.
- Easy-to-use – simply squeeze the gel from this tube. Then rub the gel throughout your hair until it has been evenly dispersed. Style with a comb or your hands.
- Matte finish – if you are not wanting a shiny look to your hair, this matte finish will suit you well. This will be good for customers who are afraid of giving their hair a greasy look.
- Perfect for messy looks – if you want a relaxed look that seems like you just got out of bed, this gel will be right up your alley. This gel will look really natural. It has a medium hold and is well-suited to short to medium-length hair.
- Only use a little at a time – saving you money, this tube of hair gel can be stretched far. In fact, you will only need a little bit of product to perfectly style your hair.
- Not suitable for all hair – because of its medium hold, this gel will not be satisfactory to people who require a powerful hold. In addition, the fact that it is aimed at short to medium lengths means that you should look elsewhere if you have long hair.
Lastly, AMERICAN CREW has an amazing light hold option that will be great for those with hair that is fine or of standard thickness. It will also be great for people who want a more casual style, in part achieved through its natural shine. Having been around since 1994, this is a trusted brand with loads of experience.
- Light hold – if you desire a lighter hold, this product will be a terrific choice. Of course, this may not be applicable to those who aim for a stronger hold.
- Natural shine – unlike other gels, which make your hair look artificially shiny, this product will give your hair a more natural look. This will make your hairstyle appear effortless.
- Wonderful scent – this gel will make your hair smell divine.
- No flakes – unlike some of its rivals, AMERICAN CREW’S gel will not leave your hair with flakes.
- Price – though it is not a particularly expensive item, this hair gel is a little more costly than most of its competitors. The reason for this is likely because of the exceptional quality of the gel. As a result, it should be reserved for men who are willing to spend a little extra on improving their appearance and those who desire a premium gel.
- The light hold is not for everyone – some customers may find this to be too weak for them.
After scanning through this list of the top 5 hair gels for men, you will have a more thorough understanding of what makes hair gels great.
After all, this list will have highlighted some of the features to look out for and to avoid when you are shopping. You may now consider yourself to be in a good position to choose a hair gel.
However, shopping for hair gels can actually be more complicated than it initially appears. The reason for this is that there are numerous factors that you must consider before you invest in a gel.
To help you on your search, we have underlined some of the main considerations and explained which elements you will need to think about. Please bear in mind the following factors:
The price of hair gels will vary considerably. Some will be fairly cheap while others can be somewhat expensive. If you are not willing to spend a lot of money on your hair styling products, you should set aside a budget for the amount you are happy to spend.
In doing so, you will stop yourself from overspending. It is important to remember that high-quality products will be more expensive. Of course, you can still get some fantastic products for low prices.
One of the main advantages of using hair gel is the hold it will give you. This will mean that your style is preserved for the remainder of the day.
If a hair gel does not have a very strong hold, it may not be the best for you. Styles such as pompadours, spiked hair, and mohawks will require a solid hold.
Hair gel will often give your hair added shine. This will make it look more luxurious. However, when low-quality hair gels are used, it can make your hair appear greasy.
As a result, you will need to think about whether you want a high shine to your hair or if you prefer a more natural look.
Different hair gels are better suited to different types of hair. Because of this, it is worth researching whether a hair gel is suitable for your hair type.
While people with short or fine hair will be able to use most gels, people with long, thick, curly, or wavy hair may be more limited in the number of gels they can use.
It should say what hair types a product is aimed at on its packing or online product description.
Gels aimed at men tend to have quite masculine fragrances. Sometimes, these smells might be overpowering for some.
If you find potent smells irritating, you might want to invest in a gel that has a more natural aroma. Cheaper or lower quality gels also tend to smell quite plastic-like, so these should be avoided.
Linked to the strength of a gel’s hold, some will be longer lasting than others. Some will only be capable of maintaining your style for a handful of others, while better gels can do this for the entire day.
In terms of longevity, you will also need to consider whether you need to use a small amount of gel or a large amount of gel each time. If a brand requires you to use a considerable amount of gel, you will get through the packet quickly.
As a result, you will waste time and effort on having to buy new tubes of gel every time you run out. To stop this from being an issue, you should locate gels that do not require the use of much product.
There are many brands to choose from when it comes to hair gel. Some are more recognizable than others, such as L’Oreal and Got2b. These brands have become recognizable because of their amazing products.
That is not to say that lesser-known brands do not also have great products. In fact, many lesser-known brands are just as good as more well-known ones.
This will mean, however, that you will have to pick between the many brands available.
Gel vs Pomade vs Wax
Though it is perhaps the most famous, there are lots of hair styling products out there for men aside from gel. The main rivals to get are pomade and wax.
Though they offer the same general benefits, each of these products is slightly different. Consequently, you will have to decide whether you want to use gel, pomade, or wax.
The main advantage of pomade is its incredible hold.
It will be able to hold your hair in whatever style or shape that you put it in. This means that it is suitable for taming curly hair. It is also great for adding some moisture to your hair, preventing it from becoming dry.
Wax, meanwhile, will give a more natural texture to your hair. It is less wet than gels. Unlike a lot of gels, most waxes do not contain alcohol in their ingredients. If you are looking for a natural hair styling product, a lot of waxes will fit this description.
Ultimately, there are advantages and disadvantages to all three products. You should weigh these up when considering hair styling options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does hair gel cause baldness?
No, you do not have to worry about losing your luscious locks when you use hair gel. However, one thing that you should consider is that hair gels often contain a lot of chemicals.
This can result in your hair becoming dry, potentially leading to it being more vulnerable to dandruff. In turn, this can cause baldness.
To prevent this from happening, try to avoid harsh gels. In addition, you should use a moisturizing conditioner on your hair.
This will add moisture to dry hair. You should also utilize anti-dandruff shampoo regularly. This will prevent dandruff from building up. Ultimately, while hair gel does not directly cause baldness, it can indirectly contribute to it.
Can you go to sleep with gel still in your hair?
No, it is not advised that you sleep with gel still in your hair. If you lack the time to shampoo your hair, simply wash it out with water.
Sleeping with hair gel can block the scalp, potentially causing problems when it comes to the regeneration of hair.
What can I use as an alternative to gel?
As previously mentioned, pomade and wax are great replacements for gel. Akin to gel, they keep your hair in the desired style. You can also get hair paste, which works in a similar way.
If you are looking for something that is completely different from gel, you can invest in hairspray. This has the same effect as gel but works very differently. If you are looking for a high-quality hairspray, try this.
In terms of hair gel for men, there are hundreds of products on the market. Hopefully, this guide will have given light to some of the best options out there and made you aware of some of the elements to consider when shopping.
Like this article? Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter for more content like this.